Cardiac disease exists in various forms like blockage in the blood vessels that supplies blood to the heart, cardiovascular disease, angina and congenital heart disease. Heart disease is one of the leading causes of death in the world, so taking care of your heart becomes very important.
Six heart checkup tests include Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Cardiac Computerized Tomography (CT) Scan, Cardiac Catheterization, Electrocardiogram (ECG), Holter Monitoring and Echocardiogram.
- Cardiac Magnetic Imaging (MRI): This is a process of evaluating the condition of a heart by the use of a specialized camera; this method is also known as cardiac MRI. This heart health checkup is conducted by making a patient lie on a table that is inside a machine that produces magnetic field. The magnetic field produces a picture of the heart that helps in detecting heart problems.
- Cardiac Computerized Tomography (CT) Scan: In this process of cardiac checkup, X-rays are used to take images of the pumping heart. The doctor may ask a patient to have a CT scan when other tests do not give adequate information. A patient is asked to lie on a table and an X-ray tube is rotated around the body to acquire the image of the heart.
- Cardiac Catheterization: It is a method used to evaluate the conditions of a heart. In this process a thin device called the catheter, is inserted into blood vessels usually through the groin.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG): It is a heart checkup test that measures the electrical signals which run through a heart. ECG can detect the unevenness in a heartbeat.
- Holter Monitoring: Holter monitoring is a process to measure and keep a record of the heart’s activity. This cardiac checkup is performed by attaching electrodes to your chest. The monitor device that is connected to the electrodes by wires is small and can be carried in pockets. This test is suggested when problems related to the heart beat are not recorded in an ECG test.
- Echocardiogram: In this heart check method sound waves are used to evaluate the condition of the heart. The sound waves are sent through a device called transducer that collects the echoes of the sound waves, which bounce back from different parts of the heart. Pictures of a heart in motion are formed by these echoes.
These heart checkup tests can detect heart problems and keep off future problems. One should opt for such heart checkups especially if heart disease runs in the family.