According to reports, the health expenditure in India accounts for 4.1% of the national gross domestic product (GDP); while private expenditure on health adds up to a total of 70.8% of all the health expenditure in the country. Therefore, the choice for the citizen’s in the country is quite straightforward. They must invest in a small sum on preventive health check-ups, which can be covered by their insurance, instead of spending massive amounts during a health crisis.
Preventive health checkup have numerous benefits. Not only do you save yourself from the trouble of having to suffer the various symptoms, pain and stress of the illness but also you get to save the money that you would otherwise spend on the hospital costs. Today, most medical professionals agree that one of the best ways that you can take care of your health is by going for regular or annual health checks. Here below are a few reasons as to why such checks are necessary.
- Even our body needs to be checked regularly: We often put our time, effort and money into ensuring that our vehicle is serviced regularly and functioning well. However, do we ever do this for ourselves? Like vehicles, the human body too needs to be tuned up regularly and must be checked for optimal functioning. Therefore, we must make sure to value our health as much as we do for our vehicle.
- Do we exercise? This is a question that we never like to answer. However, the reality is that today, we are all so hooked to our sedentary jobs and the computer that even when we aren’t working, we surf the net and spend hours of time sitting in front of the computer screen. Besides, many people smoke and drink and never exercise. This is something that leads us to have very unhealthy lives and therefore, along with some exercise, preventive health check up are necessary, to keep track of our body’s functioning.
- Healthy people fall ill too: While we are young, we feel lively and invincible. However, as age begins to catch up, the random aches and pains occur. High blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, and other such ailments start to progress, and therefore, regular healthcare is necessary. Taking care of such illnesses at an early stage will help prevent these ailments and benefit your health.
- Insurance covers them: Most insurance companies cover the cost of preventive health check-ups in their medical insurance policies. A little research on such policies can help you save some money on the check-ups you might need to make.
- Save on tax: Besides all the other benefits, you also get tax benefits for such health check-ups under section 80D of the Income Tax Act. Also, you could also get a tax deduction of up to Rs. 5000 for preventive health check-ups for yourself and your family.
Today, we all know that life is hectic and full of stress that only compounds the problem and increases the chances of lifestyle disorders. Therefore, we must opt for preventive health check-ups and keep track of the functioning of our bodies.