While 20s are the time when every individual lives and enjoys their life without much care in the world. It is time to get a bit serious during one’s 30s, not only in personal life but also when it comes to health and diet. 30s are a crucial time in an individual’s life, and it is essential that one goes for a regular health checkup.
What does a health check mean?
It is an overall medical exam conducted by a general physician (GP) to determine one’s health condition. From the time of birth, an individual goes through various tests and examinations to determine good health, but such screening becomes more important as one becomes older, especially after the age of 30.
This is because the body experiences continuous wear and tear as one grows up, and thus becomes more susceptible to illnesses and health conditions with age. To reduce the risk of developing health problems there are certain tests that one should take once they hit 30.
Here are a few tests conducted during health checks, and the frequency at which they should be taken-
- Blood pressure measurement- Measured by a GP, it should be taken once in 2 years or more frequently if at risk of developing problems. High BP does not generally have any symptoms and can result in severe complications like heart stroke, damage of kidneys, eye problems and even heart failure.
- Measurement of cholesterol level and glucose level- The test for cholesterol and glucose should be taken as per the doctor’s recommendation. Individuals in their late 30s are very likely to develop heart problems or type 2 diabetes because of imbalance in cholesterol and glucose levels.
- Pap and pelvic tests- These tests should be taken in 2 years or as per the doctor’s recommendation. It is generally recommend that women who have had sex should go for regular Pap tests as a precaution.
- Dental health check-up- Depending on the state of the teeth and gums, regular check-ups should be arranged with the dentist.
- Weight check and assessment- It should be done in 2 years and a young adult should ensure that he maintains BMI somewhere from 18.5 to 25.
One should opt for general health checkups, especially if they are at a risk of developing heart problems or BP issues as per family history. It is always better to be careful than regret and spend more on medical treatment in the future.
Make an appointment for a general health check-up today and make the best of it too!